Monday, October 5, 2009

My Virtual Tour Plan



Location Activity DescriptionGoogle Earth Content
1. Sahara Desert

I am going to have the students drag the mouse over the circumference of the Sahara and guess how big they think it is. After they have made their guesses, I will have them click on a link to find out the actual circumference of the Sahara.
For this activity they will be using the ruler to make their own guesses about the circumference of the Sahara.

2. Rocky Mountains/Y-Mountain
The kids will use the 3-D tool to explore the mountains. Then, I am going to have the kids answer the question of why we live in Provo Valley instead of on Y-mountain, or any other mountain for that matter.
The kids will explore the mountains using the 3-D view so that they can get a feel for the steepness of the mountains, and the rough terrain.

3. Amazon Rain Forest
I will have the kids write down what they observed from studying and how their observations are different from the environment where we live. I will also have them use the weather viewer to tell me what the weather is like in the Amazon.

The kids will use the weather function and report whether it is cloudy, or sunny, and hot, or cold.

4. The Tundra (in Greenland)
I will have the kids explore pictures of the Tundra and after they do that, I will have them guess what temperature they think it is in the tundra. Then, they will click on a link to find out what the average temperature actually is.

The tool they will use for this is the simple bubble picture links found in Greenland to get a feel for what the weather is like there, and how it looks there.

No comments:

Post a Comment